Saturday, January 22, 2011

#5 Beach House: Growing Colors Like Flowers

Today we have Pitchfork's number five album of 2010, Teen Dream by Beach House. Here's a look at the first track off that album, which also happens to be my favorite and the basis for their very pale album cover.



"Zebra"
by Beach House (2010)



This track offers one of those really great visual experiences that truly develops as the song does. The opening gives a sense of a wide open pale blue sky which suddenly droops to the right each time the vocal pitch slides down.

Sweeping Clouds Over Batchawana - original watercolor painting - 6 1/2 X 6 1/2 inches Ode to L.A bamboo jersey dress ...IN STOCK SALE...S
Sweeping Clouds Over Batchawana original watercolor

Ode to L.A. bamboo jersey dress


When the drums come in, the sky blue is suddenly tinged with a deep forest green, but only just barely along the bottom edge. The green doesn't pulse exactly, but there are slight rises and falls to it, giving it a sense of the gentle but insistent beat.

LIMITED EDITION 8 x 8 INCH FAUX-POLAROID HAHNEMUHLE PHOTOGRAPH (landscape 004) vintage 80s sky blue bobble tiny fit sweater
landscape 004 limited edition faux-polaroid Hahnemuhle photograph

Vintage 1980s sky blue sweater


When the chorus starts, it's as though the small green horizon suddenly comes to life, almost like a time-lapse video of flowers growing and then blooming. The green begins to gracefully stretch up into the blue and then gradually bursts into shades of purple towards the upper edge. It's very beautiful.

View of Irises...32 x 31 original acrylic painting on vintage window Vintage Sheer White Dress with Floral Design
View of Irises original acrylic painting on vintage window

Vintage sheer white dress with floral design





GET THE LOOK: VICTORIA LEGRAND
Photobucket
Victoria Legrand is the female half of the duo that is Beach House (Alex Scally being the male half). She is French-born and it seems with that comes a genetic predisposition towards amazing fashion. Check out this excerpt from a Beauty Insider interview:

How do you decide on the look you’re going to put together for any given show?
For me, it’s really day to day. I don’t really plan ahead and I like to be excited about what I’m wearing. Being on the road all the time, it’s various articles of clothing that keep me inspired and feeling good. A fun or beautiful thing to wear can change your day. I think spontaneity and not adhering to any narrow styles keep me happy.


Quality vintage seems to boost your spirits as well, we’ve noticed. How would you describe your personal style?
Free, solid, bold, masculine and feminine, but not too feminine. Fun. I like to find the beauty in the ugly. When I’m in a thrift store, I gravitate toward pieces I know I’ll wear a ton, and insane pieces that I’m sure most people would consider gross. But I find them inspiring. Our van is currently stocked with some of my random findings from this tour. Maybe I’ll call my aesthetic “van fashion.”


Aside from “van fashion,” are there any designers you’re currently loving?
I’m a thrift store woman for sure, but I really admire probably the same designers as every woman out there: Rodarte, Miu Miu, Marc Jacobs, Chanel, McQueen, Vivienne Westwood, Chloé. Otherwise, I am a fan of Opening Ceremony and their shoes; I like Samantha Pleet’s designs; I like Alexander Wang’s dark, structural vibe; even Erin Wasson’s laid-back, tough-girl vibe. And I think Vivienne Westwood is amazing, her tights and rings especially. I like these all in moments, where I can either see myself in them and also feel fantastically estranged from them—either because they’re too expensive or because I couldn’t possibly find a time/place to wear the garment. So I can dream about a world or a time and place where the fantastic is possible. I find just looking at clothes and images very inspiring.

Her looks are countless and defy pigeonholing, so I thought I'd simply create a look inspired by her particular love of black and white.  Enjoy!

vtg 80's slouchy POLKA DOT TUNIC top jumper OVERSIZED vintage 80s SLOUCHY black leather pull on ankle booties with LACE UP back ladies 7
Unworn Vintage white Jeans Shorts Black ASSEMBLY multi-chain bracelet, antique bronze chains, leather suede, friendship bracelet, layered bracelet
Vintage 1980s slouchy polka dot tunic from Hold My Gold Vintage $18
Vintage 1980s slouchy black ankle boots from Lost Continent Vintage $35
Vintage unworn white jean shorts from Bless That Dress $27
Handmade multi-chain antique bronze bracelet by By Margaret $22

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! Thanks for featuring my dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm so glad you think Victoria would wear my shorts. I'm a huge fan of Beach House, I had the oportunity to see them playing at Primavera Sound Festival here in Barcelona last year and I really liked her style.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...